[Tango-L] Tall Tango Dancers

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Wed Jun 6 16:59:15 EDT 2007

Mash:

I'm not 6'5", but I am taller than many tango dancers.

Knowing Alex Krebs and having seen him dance with numerous partners that
are quite a bit shorter than he is, I don't agree with the assessment that
he alters his posture.  Look at Alex dancing with Luciana Valle on
YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKm_fScjyWc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJcuRuAj9W0

My suggestions for tall leaders are as follows:  Keep your posture at your
own height; don't bend down to lower dancers.  Lower your left hand to her
shoulder height.  Lead with the belly and chest as normal and recognize
that much shorter dancers may be less able to take big steps backward. Let
yourself get familiar and comfortable with each follower before asking
much of her and yourself.

With best regards,
Steve