[Tango-L] Practice can be a waste too.

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 31 23:47:02 EDT 2007

It's encouraging to read that a number of people do believe that practicing
tango dancing is actually a good way to improve one's dancing. I have not
been able to fathom the logic behind the idea that formal tango dance
instruction is a bad thing and that people will learn better if they only go
out there and dance..... I've yet to see a single guy just "go dancing" and
learn to dance tango (or any other partner dance). Of course, this depends
on your definition of learning a dance versus my understanding of being able
to dance a particular partner dance......

I would like to suggest that we start using words in their proper contex and
with their precise definition or meaning. Otherwise it's very difficult to
communicate, let alone discuss ideas and thoughts. I'd respectufully suggest
that we agree on the meaning of words such as mastery, excellence, skilled,
good, average, adequate, passable, mediocre and just plain bad. I'd also
suggest that autodidacts are quite rare, particularly when it comes to
dance.

Another oximoronic concept is the one that suggests that there are dancers
out there with "all the technique" (I presume they've mastered the
technique) and yet they can't dance tango...... This argument falls flat on
it's face. Based on my observation, the only dancers who excell in technique
are also the most skilled and talented ones. Too often I read bombastic
fulminations against people who are apparently quite technically skilled,
yet cannot dance.... This does not agree with reality any more than new
dancers who've mastered skills of tango dance in six weeks. Perhaps those
are the same people? Maybe with a few exceptions they are also self-taught?

Everyone of the great dancers I know are highly technically skilled, they
usually practice a lot and they've all taken lessons from other teachers.
Amazingly enough, not one of them has ever said to me that they've mastered
any single step or skill. Without exception, they all say that they are
always striving to "master" some part or facet of the tango dance. I can
appreciate diversity and I totally understand that we all have very
different experiences and even perceptions of the same experience. However,
we must have a common language and some basic definitions so we can discuss
our various points of view. Otherwise we might just as well speak different
languages. If your idea of "mastery" is my idea of "ineptitude" and your
definition of "high level of technique" is my idea of an "barely able to
maintain balance while twisted like a pretzel", we are talking over each
other. Reminds me of the stereotype of the ugly American trying to make
himself understood in another country by shouting his words louder in
English....

Respectfully,

Manuel

visit our webpage