[Tango-L] Tango is mystery, not work

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Tue Jul 31 15:28:43 EDT 2007

I'd like to step away from the abstract terms and suggest a notion
that we can discuss the principles of "tango" all we want, but in
reality those are not the principles that guide how we choose our
dance experiences.

People make ALL decisions emotionally, and then they justify them with reason.

In all dance, I am a technique freak.  I love technique. But I
certainly do not want anyone wishing to dance with me because of my
tango. And I certainly will never wish to dance socially with any man
for technique, musicality, etc.  I am interested in the person.
Technique is only the means by which a person emerges in dance.  That
is all.  If there is technique and no person emerges, that is a
problem.  If the person busts through the lack of technique, fabulous!
  I'll dance with him if he is interesting.

It is the same for the women.  If a woman is interesting, who cares
what technical abilities she has?!  There are lots of really boring
people with excellent technical dance abilities and there are lots of
really interesting people with lousy technique.  As long as the boring
and lausy technique do not mix in one person, things are fine.

Maybe people just need to practice not being boring, developing the
art of conversation and social graces, learning metaphores and poetry
(preferably in Spanish) and definitely learn to sing some tangos.  And
then their dancing will be fabulous!

Tango is very, very simple.  I guess we have to get through all the
complexities and engineering challenges first before we can see this
simplicity.

Best regards to all,

Nina