[Tango-L] Effective Practice

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 30 18:15:23 EDT 2007

Thank you Jeff, I appreciate your added explanation. My response to Chris
was a little too brief but I wanted to get my point across before too long.
Firstly that Keith from HK was indeed right in his post and that Chris was
taking cheap shots at him.

Before anyone pounces on my incomplete response, allow me to expand my
answer a bit. While I agree with Keith and others on the value of practice,
even solitary practice of tango movements. I don't imply that this is all
one needs to perfect one's technique. Obviously, dancing with one's partner
is the best way to practice one's dance and it's the place and time to see
if all those changes of weight one tried by one's self are working as
expected when the other person enters the equation.

The one thing that might be misleading (pardon the pun) is the advise to
dance with many different women in order to perfect one's leading skills.
Yes, the proof of it all is in the dance floor. All the practice and classes
mean nothing if one can't or wont dance at the milongas. However, this is
only the proving ground for one's skill in leading. In order to perfect
one's dance, to achieve more elegance, timing and perform more impressive
dances, one must practice with one's partner and not with every woman at
every milonga. Every dance couple worth their salt spends countless hours
practicing with each other to get as good as they are.

And by the way, are we talking here about refining and practicing our
dancing skills to achieve or strive for high competence or perfection? Or
are we just talking about striving to attain a passable level of mediocrity?
If it's the first, one must apply one's self to learn, practice and improve.
If it's the latter, why bother with any of this at all? From my observation
I can tell that many dancers are already mediocre enough and they could
indeed just practice their "good enough-ness" with as many women as will
accept their dances.

Manuel

Oh yeah, speaking of high skill levels in tango and the approach to
perfection, many people had the excellent opportunity to witness extremely
high level of teaching and dancing skills exhibited by Gustavo Naveira &
Giselle Anne here in Atlanta over the last 4 days. And by the way, even
though some have ridiculed the expression, several people told me in so many
words the G&Gs performance brought tears to their eyes....

visit our webpage
www.tango-rio.com