[Tango-L] Effective Practice

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Mon Jul 30 00:41:09 EDT 2007

I'd like to give you an excellent example of practice, I think.

About 5 years ago I've attended a workshop of Gloria and Eduardo.
I've recorded and then reviewed one of their "advanced" elements which I
remember I could not do no matter how hard I tried at that lesson.

I reviewed the record many times, tried couple of times - it did not work.

On this Thursday, dancing, right in the dance, I somehow recalled this
element and tried to do it.
It went wonderfully !!!

What I want to say, it will come. I was moving forward, and then the day
came when I was able to do something which was difficult for me. I never
really practiced it, I only moved on with other things.

So, it will come itself, when necessary skills and the basement is build.

Did I practice myself? Yes. But not IT.

There is always something which one can practice alone to the full extent.
And dancing is one of this activities. One does not need a partner to dance.

I think Chris wanted to say that without actual couple dancing one can not
progress in tango in particular no matter who hard one practices alone.
There is something there which can not be practiced alone and this thing is
very important.
As with everything else practicing is important for progress, but the main
activity is more important.
And without the main activity how can one know what to practice!?

Igor Polk
Keith, HK,
It seems to me you oversimplify things.

Can YOU "grab a beginner and show the girls" how to dance? You think it is
so easy?