[Tango-L] Four Layers of Tango Learning

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Thu Jul 26 16:20:00 EDT 2007

Carol wrote:

> Some people are very good at learning by watching. While they are
> watching their sympathetic nervous system is rehearsing the very same
> move

Learning by watching is indeed good for learning the "very same move".
That's why it's so popular with teachers of preset steps and sequences.

> and learning the technique.

But it is hopeless for learning to actually dance.

The technique comes from the invisible isometrics of body and embrace.
There's nothing there to see.

Even in the visible outcome, the difference that makes a move feel great
is microscopic. You can't see it when three metres from the instructor and
you can't see it when three millimetres from your partner.

Carol wrote in a later message:

> The best method I have seen to teach women to follow (any dance), is to
> simply ask them to close their eyes

On that we agree ;)

Technique is learnt through not what we see, but what we feel.

--
Chris