[Tango-L] Women's role

tangosmith@cox.net tangosmith at cox.net
Thu Jul 26 12:54:22 EDT 2007

Best thread in many moons!

Usually we see the comments on the great leading ability of Argentine men,
which is generally attributed to either being immersed in the music for
many years and/or being products of the Latin machismo culture.  But
considering this discussion, could it also be the impact of years dancing
with Argentine women?
In my view, the characteristics described here about good tangueras (i.e.,
awareness of their considerable feminine power, understanding their role in
the embrace and dance), are generally embodied by Argentine women.  (In my
experience, anyone who considers them weak or as prey would do so at
considerable risk!).

There is often discussion of the impact that a leader has on the follower.
How much can it work the other way around?  Would it be surprising for a
leader who has the opportunity to dance regularly with the kind of great
followers described here to be a better leader for it?

WBSmith