[Tango-L] variable embrace

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 24 16:26:00 EDT 2007

Hmmm.. The embrace in tango can be variable or not. In the Apilado style, it
is not variable at all. The dancers are connected at the chest and and the
woman's left arm is draped over the man's shoulder. Their other arm is held
loosely and the hand connection is also without tension or energy. I have
experienced this first hand from such Apilado teachers as Susana Miller (I
dance with her every time I see her at a milonga). I've also danced with
other women who teach and dance that style exclusively and they all dance
that way.

Another thing I've noticed is that some women who've learned that style tend
to lean or even hang on the man. I don't know why this happens because the
teachers (such as Susana Miller) quit teaching that stuff years ago. A close
embrace is what all tango dancing requires. One can relax the embrace and
make it variable in order to dance some figures. With skilled partners I
find it very easy to dance a good variety of movements while maintaining a
very close embrace. However, if the women hang on me or lean on me, the
dance becomes quite limited.

Also, I enjoy dancing with partners who can dance more interesting steps or
moves. Some movements require a lot more flexibility in the embrace as it's
impossible to perform them if the dancers are glued at the chest. For
instance, any turn requiring more than 3 steps to either direction is much
easier to perform if the embrace is loosened. Centrifugal force is very much
in evidence for many tango steps. This requires that the dancers actually
lean away from each other. Try sometimes  taking hands with another person
and turning circles around one another. You'll see how easy it is if you
lean away from each other. If you lean towards each other, it's impossible
to do.

Things like sacadas, barridas, ganchos and boleos are movements that
originate from places in the turn (molinete, giro, etc.). All these moves
are generated from changes of direction in the turn. All these movements are
more easily performed with a relaxed, open embrace. Before I get flamed, let
me hasten to ad that small boleos, sacadas and even displacements can be
successfully done in close embrace (I do them all the time). However, no
gancho, barrida or back sacada can be done during a close, apilado position.

Obviously, some people enjoy dancing a variety of dance moves and steps and
enjoy the freedom of interpreting the music with more variety. OTOH, some
people hate anything that is not their style of dance. Usually, those who
can, enjoy dancing a variety of styles. Even some people who are not so
skilled enjoy trying out fancy moves they see others do. Unfortunately, when
unskilled dancers attempt more advanced moves, they usually look less than
elegant and can interfere with other dancers on the floor. Still, this is no
reason to rail against different styles of tango or to question their
authenticity, validiity, etc. A variable embrace is indeed a very fine thing
to use if needed. A close embrace is also just fine and quite pleasant to
use.

Enjoy your own dance!!

Manuel

visit our webpage