[Tango-L] Women's technique: obliques/La dulce vita

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 13:04:06 EDT 2007

--- "Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com)" <spatz at tangoDC.com> wrote:

> Hi Trini,
>
> Trini y Sean (PATangoS) wrote:
> > (Out of curiosity, Jake, what do you do when a man
> > visits a milonga to see what tango is like?  How do you
> > encourage him to try it?)
> >
> I don't. Why?
>
> Jake

Hi Jake,

First, because I honestly don't know what other teachers do
because I'm too busy to pay close attention (and around
here, folks usually send newbies to me for their first trip
onto the dance floor).  Some teachers I can see teaching
away from the pisa and then letting the newbies out.  I'm
sure other women do the same thing I do.

And I also wanted to gauge where your experiences are
regarding people.  Since I believe you were tango-raised in
established commmunities (NYC, right?), the things you
focus on will naturally be different from mine.  It helps
me put your commments into perspective, which sometimes
seem more "bookish" to me than "real-life".

Speaking of which, I have to agree with Jeff's comments
about the common man & democracy.  Regardless of whether
American history books are just propaganda, it's still what
the average person believes.

But I also believe that such thinking lies in the "American
Dream", the belief that with hard work you can become
anything you want.  Why my parents left the dictatorship
and poverty (in their area) of the Phillipines to raise a
family in the States.

And even a kid from a drug-ridden neighborhood, can escape
the ghetto, become a rap star, and make millions.

Trini de Pittsburgh