[Tango-L] Rampant serious misunderstandings about "Gustavo"

Club~Tango*La Dolce Vita~ dani at tango-la-dolce-vita.eu
Mon Jul 23 18:55:43 EDT 2007

Club ~Tango*La Dolce Vita~
~ Dani Iannarelli ~

Dear Brian, Konstantin, and all other interested tangueros...

>I seem to recall lots of tough Italian guys in the
>"Godfather"-vein of our popular mythology who let themselves go emotionally
>at an opera, for example.  In these popular portrayals, these guys seem like
>fellows that I wouldn't want to call a wimp, except maybe over a phone from
>an untraceable location - Brian

- and  -

>the opposite does not follow - that if someone cries, they are inherently
>weak or wimpy  - Konstantin

I stand corrected. You are both perfectly correct. There is no shame nor wussiness/wimpishness in tough guys shedding a tear or two... in fact, I myself have done so many times. I suppose it's my southern Italian heritage coupled with an inherent deep sensitivity... in fact, the latter is very much an innate characteristic of the former!

My focus was muddled by the 'horrendous-squared' image I often get of the contrived nonsense and artificialness/falseness of (particularly) non-latins trying to be 'quasi-latins' (particularly trying to be Argentine-latin). We've all seen them giving the kiss on the cheek(s) when it's *not inherent in their own culture*... ie they do it just because they've started tango. You know the type... there are loads of these pretentious twats where I am. In fact, many of them actually get it wrong. They try to be Argentinean while they mete out a bilateral cheek kiss with an obvious "mmwwwuuuuhhh, mmwwwuuuuhhh" when in fact they are ignorant of the fact that in Argentina it's ONE kiss; they're entirely oblivious to the fact they're actually inadvertently trying to be Italian...! >:-))))))) This pretentiousness kills me! I simply had the image of an extrapolation of the kissing thing into "sitting there with tears in our eyes"...

Anyway, enough of my griping.

Brian, you also asserted:
>In any case, I wish I'd been there in Rome with you!
Sorry to disappoint you but, being the macho hunk I am, I would have refused your offer to dance! >:-)))))

By the way, 'Chris(UK)' sleeps with the fishes.

Very best wishes

Dani ~
`El Zorro de Tango' >:-)))))

~Tango*La Dolce Vita~