[Tango-L] open and close embrace

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 08:46:07 EDT 2007

On 7/21/07, Igor Polk <ipolk at virtuar.com> wrote:

> Ron wrote:
>
> Imagine this. You're at a milonga. The club is crowded and the temperature
> is warm. … You spot a women withwarm smile. She responds to your
> invitation
> to dance. As you embrace, she extends her arm over your shoulder
> affectionately, drawing you closer to her gently. She places her cheek
> firmly in contact with yours. As you dance, the emotion ofthe music
> overcomes both of you. Your breathing becomes heavier, also more
> synchronous. The two of you move and breathe as one. The heat of the club
> and the passion of the dance releases sweat on your face. …
> -----
>

> Ron, are you dancing or just standing hugging each other?

With the music I described (Calo, Di Sarli, some Troilo, some Tanturi),
which does not have the constant drive of, for example (almost all)
D'arienzo [exception: El Cachafaz], there are moments available for pauses,
extended suspensions. This is part of the dance. However, the pause is only
for a few seconds and carefully spaced throughout the dance to match the
phrasing of the music. The rest of the time (most of the time) you move ...
and still feel this intense connection.

Ron