[Tango-L] open and close embrace

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 16:01:31 EDT 2007

On 7/21/07, Igor Polk <ipolk at virtuar.com> wrote:

> Ron, I do respect you a lot and always valued your opinions, but I have to
> disagree with you on almost all points you have made.
>
> 1. Cultural Validity "At the milongas in Buenos Aires, essentially
> everyone
> is dancing tango in close embrace"
>
> I haven't been to BA, but I have seen a lot of movies and documentaries
> and
> photos including old ones, and everywhere open and close embrace are
> equally
> presented. Including dance danced in 1910-1940 in Europe and America.

I would be interested in seeing film footage from the Golden Age showing
people dancing at the milongas.

In Buenos Aires in the 21st century, close embrace is the standard embrace.
Open embrace is rare outside of the nuevo clubs.

For the other points below, the differences can be attributed to personal
interpretation. However, many of my tango colleagues (including some from
Buenos Aires) share the perspective I've stated. However, I will agree that
close embrace is much less fogiving of mistakes. As for Gavito, he was
unique. He demonstrated more drama and passion because he was Gavito, not
because he opened or closed the embrace.

Ron

2. Quality of Dance. "The close embrace is more intimate and permits greater