[Tango-L] Four Layers of Tango Learning

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Fri Jul 20 14:49:39 EDT 2007

David wrote:
>Would you be so kind as to explain what you mean by "Structure of the
Dance"?<

As no one else is tackling this question, I will try with the hopes that
someone will improve upon my comments.

There are two different chains of dancers/instructors who have developed
systems for organizing the possibilities of tango.

One chain was created in a group of dancers led by Petroleo (Carlos
Estevez) and Salvador Sciana.  Mingo Pugliese was one of the youngest
members of the group and he is credited for distilling the groups thinking
into a systematic approach to tango.  Mingo distilled the innovative
concepts developed by Petroleo and Salvador Sciana during the golden age
of tango into systems of generalized eight-count right and left turns
(giros) that can be used as a frame of reference for all turning steps
including giros, molinettes, enrosques and ganchos.

Another chain was started by Gustavo Naveira and involves people such as
Fabian Salas, Chicho Frumboli (and possibly Pablo Veron).  Naveira with
contributions from his compratiots developed a systematic way for looking
at all the movement possibilities in tango.  Walking is divided into
parallel and crossed systems.  Turns are seen as two sets of four-count
right and left turns.  Ochos are seen as part of the sytem of turns,
boleos are seen as interuptions in turns, back ochos are seen as
equivalent with crossed walking.

If we think of the dance as being made up of these elements discovered by
these dancers/professors, we develop an understanding of the structure of
the dance

I recommend reading Brian Dunn's interview with Gustavo Naveira:
http://pythia.uoregon.edu/~llynch/Tango-L/2006/msg04984.html
http://pythia.uoregon.edu/~llynch/Tango-L/2006/msg05040.html

Some video tapes come to mind for a visual representation--those by
Gustavo Naveira and Olga Besio and those by Daniel Trenner.
See: http://www.tejastango.com/video_resources.html#Structure

The Pugliese videos might also be helpful, but they are bit less direct
that they are teaching from a structural system.
See http://www.tejastango.com/bridge_tango.html#Pugliese

With best regards,
Steve