[Tango-L] Dance Flaming: not an isolated phenomenon

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Thu Jul 19 18:23:39 EDT 2007

Neil,

I disagree. :)

The musicians that you describe do what you
describe.  But the motivations that you ascribe to them are incorrect.

There is no way, and I mean NO WAY that one can
reasonably put in the same comparison Joaquín
Cortés and the street musicians.  Joaquín Cortés
is a dancer of incredible talent, beauty and
understanding of the dance.  This is someone
incredibly accomplished.  Joaquín Cortés does not
need to do anything to have more money.  This
dancer has been celebrated all over the world for years.

The closest comparison would be to say that when
Michail Baryshnikov danced his heartbeat (which I
was lucky to see in Teatro Colon), he was trying
to do it for profit.  There is no logic to this.

Perhaps the definition of art is what is not
clear.  Art means different things to different
people.  To me, an artist, any artist, never
cares what others think.  Joaquín Cortés is such
an artist and so is Baryshnikov.  To be an
artist, to me means to push ones self beyond
one's own known abilities. That is transformative
work.  It is demanding, and the results have no guarantees.

But, art is more than that.  The people that you
described, such as the Peruvian musicians, are
doing something else, no less meaningful.  Music
belongs to humanity.  They make music the way
they can.  I have seen Andinos play in NY.  And
they ask for money from people who like what they
do.  Those who do not like, do not have to pay.

Personally, I am grateful to these people because
with their effort they are often much more
accessible than the artists whose work is seen only by the elite.

When I was very young and unsophisticated, I was
in NY, hanging around the subway stations for the
pure joy of public transportation.  This was the
place where I heard for the first time
Andinos.  I knew that their music may not have
been good from the purist's perspective.  But to
me they were incredible.  It was the
feeling.  They LOVED their music.  I still have
the tape that I bought from them.  I later
discovered many wonderful things from that
genre.  For this reason, I never begrudge any money to the street musicians.

And in regard to tango, the people who dance in
the streets of BsAs also bring something of
value.  Anyone who is doing something is bringing
something of value.  For example, there is a
woman in San Telmo on Dorrego who dances
alone.  She is dressed in trashy outfits and, if
I were to guess, is sometimes intoxicated (gosh,
I hope that she is not a mother of someone on
this list!).  She has been there for years.  If
she were gone tomorrow, and I was walking and not
seeing her, I would miss her.  She tried to do
something with tango.  There was something.

OK, I am exaggerating.  This is what happens when
I am left alone for hours in front of my computer.

But my point is that art is difficult to
define.  I once had a vicious food fight in a
restaurant in Santa Fe, NM because one woman was
claiming a cut and dry definition of art and I
insisted that even a Hallmark card can be art to someone.

I can only speak from my own experience and my
view of tango as an art form.  On a social level,
it is not art.  If you try to dance art socially,
either its soul or yours will die.

An artist cannot be owing anything to other
people, such as a social dance partner.  An
artist belongs to his or her art.  This is the
beauty of tango.  One and the same person can
pursue it both socially and as an art form.

I hope that I get rescued from my computer soon.

My warmest regards to everyone,

Nina