[Tango-L] 1930s - Argentine musicians in Russia?

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Wed Jul 18 18:39:19 EDT 2007

Dear dancers and musicians,

Does anyone know anything about Argentine tango musicians possibly
travelling to Russia and actually recording therein the 1930s or so?

There is a recording of Russian tangos (not Leshenko) by an orchestra
that I swear had both Russian and Argentine musicians.  I was told by
my parents that one of those tangos is called "Splashes of Champaign"
(Not the same tango as "Champaign Tango" recorded by Canaro in 1938).

Grisha (Gregory Nisnevich, the amazing guitarist that plays with
Julio and Corina, who is on this list as well) said that to record in
Russia during the Stalin's era the musicians had to be considered to
be something very special. NOBODY was recording at that time, and yet
we have these gems of recordings.  If some of these musicians were
Argentine, then it would make sense that the music was considered to
be special to be recorded.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Warmest regards,

Nina