[Tango-L] 6 months

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 18 16:26:56 EDT 2007

Dear Steve,

In your very nice post you say "After the students have mastered some basic
rhythmic and movement skills, learning something about the underlying
structure of the tango would be
helpful.". You also said that back when you were teaching with Susan (give
her my cordial greeting), you were producing "passable dancers" in about six
to eight weeks of 1 hour weekly lessons.

By definition in some dictionaries, "mastery" means:
1. Possession of consummate skill
2. Full command of a subject of study
3. Status of master or ruler

"passable" is defined as:
1. of moderate quality but less than excellent
2. satisfactory but not outstanding; adequate

Please do not think I'm passing judgment on your teaching skills. But in all
honesty, it's extremely rare for a six~eight week trained dancer to have
mastered anything. In my humble opinion, a great number of dancers who've
been dancing for years fall in the passable category. Even after many
classes and workshops with excellent teachers, few people attain "mastery"
of the basic tango dance.

I agree with Jake. He said something about the students lack of mastery is
due to his not being able to practice for them. I firmly believe that lots
of practice can help attain mastery. A dose of natural talent does not hurt
either. But lets be honest, how many beginning students will take lessons
and practice enough in six to eight weeks to actually learn to lead or
follow and dance rhythmically?

Tom Stermitz is right in that people walk into a tango class but promptly
forget how to do it by the end of the class.... However, this is only
partially correct. It does not give the true picture of what happens. They
might walk into the class, but generally, they are totally unaware of their
body. Most folks have a hard time shifting their weight from one foot to the
other when asked to do it... Ever notice how they always end up with their
weight over both feet whenever they stop moving? Have you ever had to teach
a woman to be aware of the lead so she moves her legs instead of falling
backwards when you try to lead her to walk? Ever see a man start by stepping
on their partner's feet before even moving their bodies or giving a lead?
Ever notice how you can easily spend on hour trying to teach control of
simple movements to one person?

I've seen those scenarios literally thousands of times. Teaching people to
move consciously and deliberately by themselves in a non-familiar way (think
tango) is not easy. When you try to teach 2 inexperienced people to do that
*together* you will have an exponentially more difficult task. I challenge
the notion that such people can become "passable" dancers after six or eight
lessons of one hour, given once a week....

You talk about teaching how to "assemble these elements". I say good luck in
teaching them the element of leading and following in six weeks, let alone
assembling elements of rhythm, timing and body control. Like I said, if one
has "mastery" of even the most basic tango skills, one is a "Master", well
past the passable level. BTW, if you want to see passable, just go to any
large milonga and watch the people dance. You'll be amazed at the number of
passable dancers you'll see, and they will not be all students with six
weeks of one hour/week lessons under their belts.

Sincerely,

Manuel

visit our webpage
www.tango-rio.com