[Tango-L] 6 months

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Wed Jul 18 14:49:12 EDT 2007

Manuel and all:

I have to say that Tete's own skills as an instructor nothing to do with
the validity of his comments.  I didn't find his instructional videos to
be much different than the classes Manuel describes.  It's his power of
observation that is worth considering.

Previously I wrote:
>>beginning students can assemble these small movements to dance.

Manuel responded:
>Not necessarily. Actually it's highly unlikely that the beginning
>student can do any such thing.

Maybe it's a question of teaching how to assemble those elements.

It might also be a case of my defining passably differently than you
define mastery.  I'm not suggesting that such dancers have reached the top
level in 6-8 weeks.  I am saying that they would show some competence in
basic movement, rhythm and navigation, and have fun without getting in
anyone else's way.

I'm still struck by a comment that Tom Stermitz made a few years ago that
people show up at their first tango lesson with navigational skills and
maybe some basic knowledge of rhythm,.  (They are able to walk down a
crowded street or through a crowded mall without colliding with anyone.)
After their first tango lesson--which typically consists of learning a
memorized step pattern--many would be tango dancers have no connection to
the music and have no ability to navigate.  That description doesn't
recommend instruction very much does it?

With best regards,
Steve