[Tango-L] Origins

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Wed Jul 18 05:14:29 EDT 2007

As for the evolution of tango and its origins (apropos the remarks of
Konstantine, Sergio, et al)...

I've read various arguments, each of which centers on a different
"pivotal" moment, emphasizing different details to arrive at the desired
historical climax.

Some claim that the dance came first (when treating its urban history),
and that the music developed afterward, to support & encourage the dance.

Others claim that the early city-dance was an import of the gauchos who
moved into (or were at any rate nearby) the city outskirts, and who
influenced the compadritos. And also that the gauchos had campfire
dances, which skewed the (not from the Pampas) habanera into the
earliest milongas.

Others claim that the compadritos were mocking traditional (?) dances of
the blacks.

Others claim that the blacks were the original tango dancers.

Then there's the whole brothel thing, which Borges said not many
aficionados even believed.

So how it started, and who gets the credit, is anyone's guess. The only
verifiable fact seems to be that some schmucks took it to Europe, and
that by the time it came back to Argentina, there were lower-class
people dancing it "old-school," and bourgeois types learning it
new-school Euro style.

THEREFORE...

Since the original export eventually became a different dance (aka
Ballroom)...
And since the re-import clashed with the pre-import, which hardly had a
national character...

... the only viable conclusion, however you slice it, is that the first
_inauthentic_ tango dancers were Argentine.

According to each other, anyway.

I hear the first exporters were idolized in Europe as the genuine
article though.

Spatz
DC