[Tango-L] Women's technique

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 13:19:18 EDT 2007

Hi Konstantin,

--- Konstantin Zahariev <anfractuoso at gmail.com> wrote:

> My understanding is that if you twist only your upper
> body so that your right shoulder rotates forward and to
the left (from your POV), or, equivalently, when you twist
only your lower body so that your left knee/leg rotates
forward and to the right, you involve mainly the
> right external oblique, the left internal oblique, and to
> a smaller degree the rectus abdominis and the left spinal
erectors. So the main movers are nowhere near the spine,
and the spine errectors do not twist it, even though the
spine may get a twist in it as a _consequence_ of the
contraction of the obliques.

> With best regards,
>
> Konstantin
> Victoria, Canada

Trini, here.  Actually, in moving efficiently, it's muscles
deeper than the obliques that produce rotation.  Here's a
quote from my Dance Kinesiology book, which is used as a
textbook in many university dance programs.

"For example, turning the shoulders to face the left is a
joint action involving a maintenance of extension and
active rotation to the left.  (Remember that gravity is a
flexor of the spine in an upright position.)  This would
require a static contraction of the extensor muscles
(extension fibers of erector spinae, deep posterior muscles
and semispinalis) and shortening contraction of the left
rotators (left rotation fibers of the erector spinae and
the deep posterior muscles, and the right side of the
semispinalis.)"

Nowhere does she mention obliques.  The erector spinae is a
group of vertical muscles that attach to various points of
the ribcage and spine.  Deep posterior muscles go from
vertebrae to vertebrae.

When we teach, we don't get into that level of detail,
except for our most dedicated students.  We simply let
students think about their spine and loosening it up enough
to enable more movement.  Beginning lessons with a massage
helps them understand this.

Keith has obviously not reached a level of dancing that
teachers are willing to discuss these details with him.
When instructors from Argentina visit, we discuss things
like this all the time.  And they get excited and pleased
that some people care to really learn the details.  Which
is why they like coming back here to teach.  So they often
feel comfortable bringing out these issues with our
students during workshops or privates.

Some of these instructors know so much, it's a shame when
they are not able to share their knowledge.

Trini de Pittsburgh