[Tango-L] The Content of Tango Instructors and those who instruct

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 10:31:45 EDT 2007

Tango Society of Central Illinois said previously:

"Each year we get 1 or 2 young men (in their 20s) who become competent
social tango dancers (close embrace) within 6 months. I believe it is
possible for some men to achieve basic skills of partner connection,
connection with the music, and navigation, all while having a good
balanced walk, within 6 months. Their repertoire is mosly walking,
rock steps (some turning), several variations on the ocho cortado and
basic back ochos. Their dance is simple but with good basic tango
skills. On the other hand if instruction focuses on teaching giros,
ganchos, boleos, volcadas, colgadas and the like, you can have dancers
with 2-3 years tango experience who still can't walk with grace and
balance to the music."

On 7/16/07, Ecsedy Áron <aron at milonga.hu> wrote:

    Illinois> months. Their repertoire is mosly walking, rock steps
(some turning),
    Illinois> several variations on the ocho cortado and basic back ochos.

    I'd be out of business, if people learnt only this in half a year
(even though wouldn't ever teach colgadas in the first year - counting
the average 3-5 hours per week tango involvement). The tango scene in
Hungary was dominated by stage dancers during its initial expansion,
so people rarely dance simple at the milongas (you can't even try:
some women don't even understand if you lead steps less than half a
meter...). This makes dancers of beginner-level knowledge feel
completely incompetent and drives them towards fancy stuff. A great
number of beginners choose to take lessons with stage dancers because
they are teaching "more than walks and ochos".