[Tango-L] Fwd: Women's technique

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 01:27:45 EDT 2007

Hi Nancy,

Your assessment might be correct if I allowed myself to be
improperly danced with.  But that is not the case, and my
partner knew it.

But it was well before I became a teacher that I made a
point of practicing things like balance and sensitivity
with the inexperienced men.  So with guys who tended to use
their arms, I moved faster so that they couldn't use their
arms (sorta' like beating them to the punch).  For guys who
bounced, I worked on being smoother instead (I danced open
at that time).  It turned out that some of the guys picked
up on what their own problems were as my own problems
disappeared.

That's how I learned to become a much better follower.

Trini de Pittsburgh

P.S.  Since I pretty much dance with everyone at some point
(I am a teacher and community-builder after all), I use
other devices to signal to guys how well they are doing,
such as in what music I choose to dance with them, whether
I stall until song #3 in a tanda, or how I react after a
tanda.  So for them, it's not a question of getting a dance
but getting good reaction versus a polite "Thank You".