[Tango-L] Women's technique

ceverett@ceverett.com ceverett at ceverett.com
Mon Jul 16 23:36:26 EDT 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 23:34:00 +0100, "Chris, UK" <tl2 at chrisjj.com> said:
> Trini wrote:
> >  Women do not get better by osmosis.
>
> That's exactly what they do.

The way you write that, it implies all women have this instinct for
tango.  This like saying all women have an instinct for belly dance.
Yah, right.

Yes, I've met women who are superb dancers after a couple of months of
tango.  The key is that they already had balance, didn't have to learn
new ways of moving their body, so all they really needed to work on is
their following skills.

I wonder what you would say to some of the women I have met who've spent
decades not moving their bodies and decide they want to learn tango.
This is not an easy place for them be be in, and the difficulties seem
to be 2: much of their musculoskeletal system doesn't work as designed,
and they have strange notions of what tango movement actually consists
of.

Good luck trying to get them to learn tango by osmosis.

Christopher