[Tango-L] 6 months

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 16 13:49:34 EDT 2007

IMHO, if a guy can competently walk with ease and elegance, perform turns to
both sides and navigate the dance floor and lead his partner to dance as he
does all this, he is already and accomplished dancer and is probably already
teaching his own classes. I don't know who these 6 month wonders are. I'd
like to see them and I'd love to see the methodology their teachers use.

While it is true that there are phenomenal dancers who can achieve greatness
in short order (think Chicho Frumboli), I think they are a minuscule
minority. I don't agree with teaching raw beginners to do ganchos, barridas,
colgadas, volcadas or flashy boleos and sacadas. It's a very bad idea, this
kind of teaching philosophy produces the worst dancers that one sees in the
social dance floor. These are the people about whom the biggest rants
against "show tango" are directed.

I don't know about the proficient dancers that some people in this forum are
talking about. I have not seen them so I cannot talk about them. However, I
do know that there are teachers out there who have very nice personalities
and are very complementary of their students progress and ability. These are
very nice people and very supportive of their charges. They are doing what
they think is right and in some ways they are correct. It's very important
to be supportive and encouraging. The only problem is that in their efforts,
they convince their students (and themselves I guess..) that they are indeed
good dancers and quite proficient. Alas, to the knowledgeable observer this
is simply not so. This is equally bad for those teaching choreographed back
sacadas, and flying boleos as it is for those who teach plodding under the
guise of "close embrace".

In my years of dancing and teaching since the early '90s, I've come to the
conclusion that the tango is not easy to learn or to teach. It is simple,
but not easy. People can take lessons for years from good teachers, and
still struggle to dance simply, elegantly and with the music. Yes, there are
exceptions, but that is all they are. And yes, when these people go to BsAs,
they find out just how woefully inadequate their dancing really is and how
judgmental and picky the Portenos/as can be... A rude awakening indeed.
OTOH, there is good dancing in the US and anyone who says different is just
talking from limited experience or just lying. In any of the larger
festivals around the US, one can find many very good dancers. Actually, you
don't even need to do go to those festivals. Just come to Atlanta during a
week when we have several milongas and come to dance. You'll see for
yourself that there is an excellent level of dancing right here in the USA.

Cheers,

Manuel

visit our webpage
www.tango-rio.com