[Tango-L] 6 months

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 20:40:09 EDT 2007

On 7/15/07, Igor Polk <ipolk at virtuar.com> wrote:

> Sean, are you really serious claiming you can make a decent dancer out of
> man in 6 months?
>
> Well, yes, I know women who already know the dance even before taking the
> first lesson. They just need to pick up the details. But generally
> speaking...
>
> Igor

Each year we get 1 or 2 young men (in their 20s) who become competent social
tango dancers (close embrace) within 6 months. I believe it is possible for
some men to achieve basic skills of partner connection, connection with the
music, and navigation, all while having a good balanced walk, within 6
months. Their repertoire is mosly walking, rock steps (some turning),
several variations on the ocho cortado and basic back ochos. Their dance is
simple but with good basic tango skills. On the other hand if instruction
focuses on teaching giros, ganchos, boleos, volcadas, colgadas and the like,
you can have dancers with 2-3 years tango experience who still can't walk
with grace and balance to the music.

Ron