[Tango-L] heel or toe - Eryk

Eryk Wolski darnockyre at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 13 05:11:04 EDT 2007

Holla,

I did not said that embellishments ar not important.
I just claim that what the base of your free leg does
is an embellishment.
The TOE OR HEAL FIRST in the projection of the free
leg is an embellishment!
With your free leg you are doing embellishments. I
start a step with a projection. And I can choose to
project toe or heal first. The projected leg can go
for the contact with the floor, but I also can
withdraw the projection. If I want to look elegant i
probably will try to emulate Pablos Footwork. But note
he dances Di Sarli and the Villa Urquiza style goes
fine with it! Dance Pugliese the same way and you will
look a bit out of place!

Meanwhile, your weight rests on the other leg (not the
free one) and if you want to have stability you have
to rest on you HEEL and you are using the toes to
balance. Try standing on your toes and doing an lapis!
Good luck!

Fantastic video! I had actually the pleasure to take
several class by Pablo Rodriguez this spring in the
UK. Wonderful dancer. Thanks for posting this video
here. If you look closely you will see that Pablo
varies if he places his heels or his toes of the FREE
LEG on the floor first. While going forward he first
contacts the floor with the heel, while going
backwards usually with the toes.

And thanks to all for this very interesting discussion
about how to walk in the tango!

Cheers
Eryk