[Tango-L] So, what is better, heel of toe?

Huck Kennedy huck at eninet.eas.asu.edu
Thu Jul 12 22:31:18 EDT 2007

Eryk Wolski <darnockyre at yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Where to place you weight? Place it on the heel as
> soon as you can! Don't keep your weight on the toes
> all the time. It might look elegent. But if you want
> to look elegant use high heels and you can still place
> your weight on the heel.
>
> I have heard a story that there was a time where the
> ladies in BA thought it is elegant to dance all the
> time on their toes even wearing high heels. But if you
> dance a lot and all the time on your toes it's quite a
> strain to your metatarsal and the bones in the
> metatarsal will break.

     I agree with this.  Regardless of whether you first
land on the ball or the heel, for the sake of your feet,
you should try to rest them as much as possible by
putting weight on your heels when you can.

     Corina talked about this in a lecture once.
Someone asked her if she liked dancing in high heels
or dance sneakers more, and she said high heels, by far,
that way she's got something to put her weight on.

     I absolutely cringe when I see women dancing in
dance sneakers staying up on the balls of their feet
the whole time.  And they wonder why their feet fall
apart.

     Often during a milonga women will complain to
me about how their feet are hurting.  I suggest that
they try putting weight on their heels as much as they
can while dancing when they have the opportunity to do
so to take the stress off their feet, and more often
than not, they just go  *blink*  *blink*  and look at me
curiously like I'm from Mars, or have a tinfoil hat on
my head.

Huck