[Tango-L] Fwd: Women's technique

burak ozkosem buraktango at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 19:17:56 EDT 2007

Teaching Methodology for Women's technique has been presented by many
Argentine dancers in two major pathways  depending on their background. i.e.
Folk dance background or Modern dance background. Most of the time these
backgrounds produce very different concepts about the technique for women.
For me, Follower's technique requires activation via interaction with the
leader, and this determines whether her technique is nice or not. If any
tanguera has good technique they should look great whoever she dances with,
if not she will be depending particular partner to look good. No matter how
someone walks gracefully, when she is in her partner's arms, the real time
experiment begins for both of them.

Like any other culture, Argentine Tango is evolving and the gender issues
started have deeper impact on women's technique. New generation Argentine
teachers are not coming from folk dance background mainly as used to be.

Another variable is body structure of the female dancer who teach follower's
technique..(For instance, having short legs or long legs causes huge
separation  between  the concepts)

I'm sure that many other elements play role to define what concept is better
for someone.However, my suggestion for women is to find most suitable and
comfortable concept for your own body mechanics, not just some teacher says
that you have to do the way she does.

My favorite women's technique teachers who has amazing women technique
concepts have totally different concepts.
Such as Geraldine Rojas-Paludi, Mariana Montes, Nancy Louzan, Claudia
Codega, Melina Bruffman, Celine Ruiz

I hope this helps
Burak
Chicago