[Tango-L] Classic alternative? - Clarification of the "foxtrot" story

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Sat Jul 7 03:23:32 EDT 2007

Sorry, it might be out of order, but, the list is not that formal, so I feel
I can give some clarification, thank you, Konstantin for pointing it out.

It was an alternative milonga. She was dancing to electronic mixes before.

The story was: "Once ( in Denver ) a DJ started to play a set of great old
foxtrots. What could be better for a milonga ! I invited one young lady. She
said "Not to this music !". I said "Why - it is so perfectly danceable,
driving?". "I hate it!!!" she said."

And my question was "Why did she said so?"
Igor.
PS. Why one would want to dance tango steps to foxtrot? Using the level of
artistry obtained in tango a tango dancer can easily invent moves suitable
for such simple ( and pleasant ) dance like foxtrot. Besides, have you tried
to dance milonga to foxtrots of 30s? Try it !

I have met one gentlemen of about 90 years old. I asked him what did he do
when he was young. He was at that time in Ireland. He answered: "I went
dancing 5 nights a week. We danced mostly tango and foxtrot". He was about
20 at that time.

Konstantin wrote:
Yes. She did not hate the music. She just hated the idea of dancing
tango (*) steps to something that is not tango (*).