[Tango-L] Help... historic footage

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Mon Jan 29 16:05:00 EST 2007

Lesley

> We are looking for black and white archival footage of dancing in the
> early days... thoughts, ideas, advice???

Here a delightful clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7wbRu_Gago

Jorge Finkielman writes

-
The clip here belongs to a film called "Con la música en el alma" from
1951. This was the last film that Francisco Canaro produced after 16
years.. Most of his films were probably successful (there is no data about
their box office performance, probably on purpose) but he always said that
he always lost money. However, many of them are good classics.

Unlike all of the previous ones, in this one he also appears as an actor
(before and after this production, he always appeared as himself).
Although Canaro stopped his activity as producer, and renting his studios
to others, in no way this is a bad film.

This clip can be considered as politically incorrect by some people in the
United States. However, the original intention was not to make a ridicule
but to pay a homage to the black community of Buenos Aires of the 1880s
which gave their lives in the civil wars and had to endure the yellow
jack. In the early fifties, some artists (and Alberto Castillo in
particular) were recovering their musical influence:
-

People might be interested to know of Jorge's book:

 http://www.gardelweb.com/the-film-industry-in-argentina.htm

Chris