[Tango-L] The ZVI MIGDAL group

Hector Pablo Pereyra pablo at thezvimigdal.com
Mon Jan 29 15:40:29 EST 2007

Dear list,

It pleases me to be able to generate such an interesting debate in the list!

Lucia: I am sorry if you didn't find answers in my previous letter. I
believe I expressed my point and my believes on it. If you didn't
understand it, I don't think I can add anymore to make it more clear. In
any case Jake expressed my point of view more eloquently (Thanks Jake,
there is wine for you at the Caffee should you ever come and listen to us).
In regards of considering entering politics, I am strongly involved in
politics and don't take that as an insult. On the contrary, I believe
that every individual is a political one. It is our right and also our
obligation.
Also, in a debate you listen to what the other person is telling you and
consider what that person is saying. I believe you don't want to debate,
you have already a formed idea, even though you have never been to our
shows or don't know anything about my band or myself. You are very
welcome to come (the wine is on me) or have a coffee with me or a phone
conversation (don't know where do you live) and I will be very happy to
clarify all your doubts.

Jay: Trini an Sean gave you what would be my answer. I have a ton of
better names if I wanted to cash on easy notoriety. And it strikes me
how you are ready to make assumptions and publish them without giving me
the benefit of the doubt or without any further knowledge of our
activities. Don't forget that this thread itself is creating awareness
of this issues and bringing it to light to be debated as Caroline Polack
just stated (thanks Caroline, free wine for you too!). I understand that
you live in Portland, so whenever you come to NY get in touch, get to
know us, drink some wine with us (on me) and then with all the elements
in your hands you can trash and bash us as much as you want if you still
feel like doing so.

Andrew: thanks for your posting, it has a lot of interesting links, some
of them I haven't seen. I can contribute some to the list myself. I Did
a lot of research in the subject before choosing the name. Of course,
since I am not Jewish I did ask some of my friends to make sure they
could grasp my point and be certain that it was not going to be taken as
an anti-Semitic statement. Everybody in NY seems to understand it except
for a guy who will boycott us if we don't change our name (Lucia, you
should contact him and come to the door of the coffee where we play to
demonstrate) and of course the infallible Argentine Consulate of
Argentina that won't let us play there unless we change our name; in
other words if I change the name but remain a "Nazi" I can play there
(maybe that is why some Nazis where allowed into Argentina: THEY CHANGED
THEIR NAMES!!!).
About the name: I asked about the differences in spelling between Zvi or
Zwi and was advised to go with Zvi. I myself would have gone with sui
migdal which is the incorrect way the name was generally spelled by
Argentineans but thought that resorting to slang wouldn't be understood.
Now if the correct way is definitely Zwi I will amend that mistake!
I understand you live in London but of course you are also invited to
our shows and wine.

Sean and Trini: I don't think we can have you to testify in court on our
behalf. You are biased!! You have shared asado with us!! We'll have
another one this year, hopefully.

Finally, we take tango very VERY seriously. And work with commitment and
responsibility to take it to another level and another audiences. We
have taken it to several interesting venues in the States (we even
played at Carnegie Hall with Adam). In every presentation, through our
choices in terms of repertoire and my explanations of the tangos we try
to create awareness on the cultural and socio political aspects that are
behind it. We are also available to play benefits (if we consider the
cause to be a good one) and have done so many, many times, including
churches and synagogues! I don't believe tango should be "the vertical
expression of a horizontal desire" I believe there is much more to it.

Sorry for the long posting.

Thanks

Hector Pablo Pereyra