[Tango-L] The ZVI MIGDAL group

Lucia curvasreales at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Jan 29 13:03:57 EST 2007

Certainly you don't work for Gucci, nor heard of McLuhan.

Huck Kennedy <huck at eninet.eas.asu.edu> escribió:  Jake Spatz writes:
> The notion that a name, or the presentation of a subject,
> is ipso facto _an endorsement_ belongs to facile theorists.
> There is power in the presentation of a negative.

     Si senor.

> Last spoon-- if you've eaten it this far: An explanation such as mine is
> NOT an endorsement either. Do I like the band name? Eh... a bit obscure,
> a bit heavy-handed. But again, I don't know the band. It could very well
> be brilliant, but making it so is a tall order. It's certainly
> provocative, but the question is what that provocation has to do with
> the band's material and its stance within the larger musical context.

     Indeed.  To simplify and generalize matters even
further, even if a name isn't an endorsement, one must
still determine whether it is serving an actual creative,
provocatively constructive purpose, or if it is just
a sleazy way of attracting attention and money, like
that despicable "Hitler's Cross" cafe in India that
caused so much controversy last year, and was
eventually shamed into changing its name.

Huck