[Tango-L] The ZVI MIGDAL group

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 23:19:39 EST 2007

Sean here. A few finer points re this rampant speculation
posing as a discussion. My first 3 points require no first
hand knowledge of the band, just a little thinking before
typing.

1. As Jay pointed out "Women being kidnapped or otherwise
coerced/manipulated into slavery and prostitution is Still,
Today, a Huge world-wide problem that hardly gets the press
and visibility that it deserves." Or to paraphrase more
succinctly, "This is not a hot issue."
There is little marketing value to be reaped from
capitalizing on non-issues.

2. In ZVI MIGDAL's market, (USA) almost no one had ever
heard of Zvi Migdal before Pulpo picked the name. Once
again, hardly a canny marketing move. If nothing else is
revealed by his posts, it is at least clear that Pablo has
well above the median double digit IQ. It is reasonable to
assume that he would choose a less obscure name if he
wanted to capitalize on notoriety.

3. This thread and the rising awareness of this issue in
this venue are solely due to the band's chosen name.
Whether or not that is their intent, it is certainly a
positive effect of their choice.

The following point would require that one actually have
seen the band perform before judging their work and or
motives:

4. In addition to playing tango music (significantly better
than the standard for live tango in the US), Zvi Migdal's
performance includes a running bilingual commentary between
pieces that is both thought provoking and entertaining.
Having listened to this twice, and then wasted a whole
evening afterwards at a parrilla with the band, (doing
nothing constructive, just sitting around for hours and
hours eating, drinking and talking) I can assure you that
the band does not endorse or glorify or wink wink at white
slavery.

5. My experiences of the differences between US and
Argentine culture are for the most part too limited to draw
broad stereotypical conclusions, but one thing is clear:
Argentinos are far superior to Texans when it comes to
bar-b-que.

Personal notes:

Jake: Get in your car, drive to NYC, and go see this band.
The art critic in you will thank me. The real person might
too.

Jay: More than anyone else on the list, you are able to see
the positive in most things. I did not expect cynicism from
you.

Lucia: You have one of the sharpest wits on the list. Play
to your strength. This victim role doesn't suit you.

Sean

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/