[Tango-L] On group classes ...

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Sat Jan 27 13:43:48 EST 2007

I add some new elements.

Giving and taking feedback

Sometimes classes turn into a test of wills. "You lead that wrong." "You're not following." This has NOTHING to do with skill level. This has do with what it means to be a PARTNER. PARTners are PART of the problem and PART of the solution. It's rarely one sided. If a man sees feedback as an attack on his manhood, game over!! But then, it depends on how it's explained. The same goes for women. Is the man attacking or helping? This raises an important question about the value of practicas. Is it really a practica or just a milonga? I just stopped going to one practica because it's really a milonga. People are content with their level of dancing. Telling them anything only upsets them. I've seen it happen.

Some people DON'T want to hear that they could do something better that would improve their dancing. Some people are content with their level of dancing. It's just that their level of dancing is not good enough for the class

The mystique of figures

Some people want to take a class on volcaldas and colgadas (I hope I spelled them right. I can't count on spell check.) because they are the latest craze. A friend and I took a private with Valeria Solomonoff to learn them. BEFORE she would teach me, she wanted to see me lead a calesita because she wanted to make sure I could deal with pulling a woman off her axis. I've never teachers test the skill level of students.

The mystique of teachers

Some people will follow certain teachers to the end of the earth, regardless of what they're teaching. Their skill level has NOTHING to do with it.

This class is not for you
Only ONCE did I see a teacher tell the students his expectations. He lead the figure combination and said "You have to know how to lead and follow back ochos. This is an intermediate class. You're expected to know this because I'm not taking time to teach this." His message was LOST on a number of people. One woman told me "I've been dancing for six months." No wonder she had problems, which became my fault.

Determining skill level
This is usually based on the community they live. Some people might be in a shock when they go a festival or out of town and see dancers dancing differently-- or better.

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
Enjoying Spring (Well, 56 degrees is close enough)
I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango