[Tango-L] Milongas (or Practicas) in Denver

David Hodgson DHodgson at TangoLabyrinth.com
Sat Jan 27 11:28:15 EST 2007

Bloody beautiful Nina.
Sitting here with mate
Seems if there is an intent behind any of your examples (American or
Argentine) then this is a very good thing.
Anything else, you're just spinning your wheels. Absolutely crazy!

David~
(Wondering if I got the last word in on this one thing).

-----Original Message-----
From: tango-l-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:tango-l-bounces at mit.edu] On Behalf Of
Nina Pesochinsky
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 2:48 AM
To: Tango-L at mit.edu
Subject: Re: [Tango-L] Milongas (or Practicas) in Denver

Chris, Neil,

Here, I believe, we are getting into some very important cultural
differences.  In the U.S., I do not see very many people drinking
coffee or wine with their friends in the summertime on some plaza
cafe at 2AM and actually spending 3-4 hours just sitting there
chatting.  In Argentina, for example, when a woman has a problem, she
takes coffee with her 10 friends, one at a time, and then she feels
much better and might even have a solution to the problem.  In the
U.S., such a woman would need to make a lunch appointment with most
of those friends at least 2-3 weeks in advance (I speak from personal
experience) :-)

Again, this brings me back to the question of values.  Americans
value "doing", while Argentines value "being".  This is ironic,
considering that English language is mostly about prepositions, while
Spanish is all about verbs.  Perhaps people focus in the language on
that which is NOT happening.

Wasting a huge amount of time in a stylish and classy way is an art
in itself.  Argentines do at the milongas exactly what they do
elsewhere - they hang out, spend time with friends, and listen to
some music.  Just being with people has great value.  The whole
ritual of taking mate in the afternoons takes hours.  At a milonga,
the only difference is that people also might dance.

Americans do not hang out with friends in the same way.  The norm is
that there would be a scheduled dinner, lunch or a party, with a set
time limit.  People do not casually share their time with one
another.  Time is spent "doing" instead of "being".

So in a milonga, one has to plan to waste a lot of time in a really
"classy" way (and you have to pronounce "claassy" like the gangsters
did in the old movies), while in a tango class one has to do, do, do
something!  This is a huge difference in values.  In order to chose
milongas over classes, people need to begin to value wasting, and I
mean really wasting (by the standards of their cultures), lots and
lots of time.

Warm regards to all,

Nina