[Tango-L] cintura

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Fri Jan 26 20:55:35 EST 2007

Cintura means waist in Spanish, so that is above the pelvis.

In terms of skeletal structure, that would actually be the spine,
correct?

Moving the waist or spine, means rotation, arching or bending side-to-
side of the spine. (There is also the idea of stretching the spine,
but I'm not sure that helps the discussion.)

I understand rotation of the spine and how that is important for tango.

I strongly feel that arching the spine while doing ochos is a quick
path to back injury, perhaps not when you are a 20 year old ballerina.

I do not think bending side-to-side helps much in tango.

Again, when i watch bodies move (men and women) in the milonga. I
notice that their hips move.

All of them, not just some of them. Not just the bad ones.

Some of them maybe too much; some of them in ways that are too stiff
or too loose. Some of them in ways that will cause injury in someone
older than 20 years.