[Tango-L] Milongas (or Practicas) in Denver

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Fri Jan 26 19:26:50 EST 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Chris, UK wrote:
>> A better Colorado website is put out by Tango Colorado:
>>
>> http://TangoColorado.org
>
> Can this really be correct? Colorado state has only two weekly
> milongas?
>
> Yet over twenty weekly classes/practicas? I wonder where all these
> class
> students go to actually dance...
>
> Chris

The question is: "What REALLY is a milonga and what REALLY is a
practice?".

One big clue: It is NOT necessarily about the label or name chosen by
the organizer.

The first issue is that Milonga means party, which has expectations
of certain kinds of social encounters (e.g. meeting friends and
strangers for dances) and not others (e.g. teaching on the dance floor).

Second, I'm of the opinion that you can't truly have a milonga with
fewer than 50 or 60 people, i.e. 25 couples. This is relative and
depends on a few other factors. In a small space you could have a
great party with fewer people; a large space eats up social energy,
and may require 100 or more people.

Third, I note that milongas in Buenos Aires are arranged in a
particular way. They have chairs for everybody so they can sit
between tandas, and a dance floor delimited by tables, so you don't
get people walking across the dance floor to the bathroom or bar.
Lights are relatively bright so you can watch the dancers and easily
catch an eye for a dance. DJ plays tandas with curtinas for changing
of partners. There is an expectation of meeting people for a dance,
not working out new moves.

Fourth. Practicas in Buenos Aires are often "guided classes". I guess
that is different from a practice space where people just come to dance.

Fifth. Is the DJ a paid professional, or just running scramble on the
ipod?

Denver (not Colorado):

Denver, a metro area of perhaps 3 million people, has tango dances
every night of the week, with lower or higher attendance. Some events
are labeled milongas others practicas. Three nights (Tues, Fri & Sat)
regularly go over 60 or 80 people. We don't really have any "guided
practicas", to the best of my knowledge, all the weekly dances are
for dancing not teaching.

Which events in Denver could reasonably be called Milongas, and which
are really practicas?

In fairness you can call the three largest events milongas:

TUESDAY. Paid DJ. 120 - 160 or more people show up at the Tuesday
"practice" produced by Tango Colorado in a large ballroom in the
center of Denver. Even though it is called a practice, the event is
really a milonga if you look at the attendance, high social energy,
and expectations of the attendees. You have a large crowd, dance
floor surrounded by tables and chairs, music usually organized in
Tandas, circular flow of the dance floor, decent navigation (for the
most part). The room is split in order to keep the milonga energy on
the North half of the room. The South half is available for people
who want to practice. It keeps the stoppers and tricksters from
disturbing the flow of the dancers on the other side.

FRIDAY. Paid DJ and/or Orchestra. 100 - 150 people show up every week
at our Friday milonga at the Mercury Cafe. This event is without
question a milonga. It is located in a funky, bohemian sort of
nightclub, where swing dancers meet on other nights. We sometimes
have a DJ; other times a tango orchestra. People show up with the
special intention of dancing tango, not practicing moves or talking
on the dance floor.

SATURDAY. Organizer DJ. We usually get 50 - 100 people on Saturdays,
which rotates between Denver and Boulder. Both events are labeled
milongas, which is a fair label based on social energy and peoples
expectations. Special circumstances will drive attendance higher or
lower than normal

Here are a couple events that aren't really milongas:

THURSDAY. Paid DJ. In comparision on Thursday Tango Colorado produces
another practice in a studio in Boulder, without any seating, with
mirrors on the wall and the DJ usually doesn't play tandas. This only
gets attendance of 30 - 40, so you really have to call it a practice.

WEDNESDAY. Organizer DJ. In the same nightclub (the Mercury Cafe) as
Friday, I put on a "milonga" after my classes. The space says
milongas, but it usually feels more like a practice because the crowd
is casual and small. Over time, I hope to evolved it to a "real"
milonga, but I have to admit a visitor wouldn't label it a milonga.
Sure, I always welcome visitors, but to be fair I normally steer them
to the bigger events on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday.

So, we have some "practicas" that are more like milongas and some
"milongas" more like practicas.

I'll bet it is the same in pretty much everywhere.