[Tango-L] On group classes ...

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Fri Jan 26 17:54:00 EST 2007

tango at bostonphotographs.com wrote:

> It seems like everyone judges their skill level by how many years
> they've been dancing.

Sure, but dancers have no choice if they want to select classes from
teachers who define the lesson level on that basis. Most class teachers do
define level by how many years you've been dancing (and most of the rest
by how many steps you've learnt!).

> that's just as accurate as judging one's skill level by the amount of
> money they paid for their shoes.

Agreed. Often girls in their first month or so are of a higher standard
than those that have danced/classed for many years. It's tragic to see
them demoralized by classes that have them trying to follow leaders who
despite being 'advanced' by years, still haven't got the basics.

> As a result of wildly different skill set, either the teacher is
> lowering the difficulty of the class to the lower common denominator

Professional class teachers are in a situation where they have a real
problem reconciling on the one hand being truthful to students about their
standard of dancing and on the other filling the classes.

I'm sure that many teachers would love to be free to say what they know to
be the truth: past beginner, the longer you've been doing classes, the
lower on average is your standard of dancing.

Chris