[Tango-L] No moves heeps?

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Fri Jan 26 14:08:35 EST 2007

I disagree that the woman should keep her hips from moving.

(1) It is a physical impossibility
(2) Look at the dancers in the milongas: EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM
moves their hips.

So, I'm not sure what you actually mean, because it can't be
literally be: "no moves heeps".

I think sometimes a teacher says something, and then all their
students continue saying the same thing irregardless of whether it is
true or not. The toe-first is another example. Watch what the teacher
does, sometimes it is the opposite of what they say.

HIPS IN TANGO

Salsa has a specific hip motion. Tango does also, but not the same
one. Certainly it is a lot less.

Changing weight in tango involves a bunch of different things, and
hip movement is one of them.

If you are up on your hips, and trying to keep them from moving, then
you are creating a series of difficulties:

(1) Balance is harder
(2) Shock absorption is harder
(3) Going up on your hips leads to stiff knees, making stick-legs.
(4) Follower feels stiff or choppy to the leader
(5) Makes it hard to dance milonga tras-pie
(6) Makes it hard to do a smooth cross.
(7) Makes it harder to do shooth ochos
(8) Makes it harder to do fast boleos

Obviously, these issues are easier to explain in person than over email.