[Tango-L] How to Tango

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Mon Jan 22 18:52:12 EST 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 12:22:52 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>Hello Floyd,
>
>Whether you realize it or not, you are in a relatively rare
>position – that of a tango community leader.  You will be
>shaping a community and affecting future generations of
>tangueros.  You are not simply sharing your ideas, but you
>are also establishing the norms for your community.  This
>is a responsibility that some teachers/organizers do not
>realize until they end up with a community that may not be
>what they originally envisioned.  When it happens, they are
>apt to blame the community and be blind to how their
>actions built that community.

I realize all of that.    About the only worry I have right now is
that something I write here or in the 'How To' pages be taken
personally and negatively by any of the individuals who have become my
friends through Tango.

My thoughts come from 12 years and other cities too...  So I hope
everyone knows that if they in particular didn't exist at all, I would
still have written the same thing.   No one is to 'blame' for anything
negative.  It's the way things go.  Re bad instruction, dancing, and
the like...  So many people want to get into the act before they know
what they're doing.   The 'How To' is for everyone to have some common
reference point.    Others have done their version.  I can do mine,
eh?

So in fact I am trying to establish norms...

What you need to tell me is where I am wrong with what I have written.
That's what is most important and all I've asked for.   What more
should I do?    I want good methods put into what is taught in this
area most of all...  If it does others some good elsewhere then all
the better.  If what I have in black and white is found to be good by
the world, it will obviously go a long way towards that end..    So
please confirm or condem the writing in whatever way you wish.

But trust that I'm  personally doing the best for our community, based
on what I know of the people here and what needs doing.  I want
everyone to know the 'right' way.   I figured with us coming into the
picture more than a decade behind most other communities.., we should
have a lot of the road already paved for us.  We should not have to
reinvent the wheel, eh?

>As you present your ideas via internet or classroom, I hope
>you think about the type of community that you want that
>goes beyond the dance skills.

Why?

Just kidding... ;->

>How do you want them to interact?

I just want them to....

>How do you want them to learn?

>From *experienced* AT instructors...

>What is the essence of community?

Everyone thinking the same.

I do think about it.

>Igor made reference to how opinionated your writings
>appeared.  I would add “close-minded” and slightly
>militant.  I saw a lot of negativity.  (That is based on
>your webpage, not on your recent postings to Tango-L.)  But
>is that how you want people in your community to be?

>Do you want them to be opinionated or open to new ideas?

I want them to be opiniated.

They can have new ideas once they know how to Tango and the followers
tell leaders not to push them around.   Until they get to the level of
Igor and learn where it *needs* to be done of course..

>Do you want them to be judgemental before they know anything
>themselves?

Who are they supposed to learn from?

>Do you want them to be stuck in the past or do
>you want them to be in the present?  Take a look at your
>webpage and try to see what it tells a novice about your
>community (not about tango but about the community).

I don't want them to be swayed by people who have been around less
than a year.   Or anyone who has less than altruistic aims.

You seem to be condeming me for something.  Please be specific.
Is there something in the 'How To' that is not correct...?

My 'attitude' is just me.  It can be accepted or not.   I am sardonic,
sarcastic, dedicated, honest, direct, and a lot of other stuff that
most people can't handle at first.  But it's all done in good faith
and good humor.

Overall, I try to make up for my faults by doing more good than bad.

>We just celebrated the 5th anniversary of our tango group
>and what I am most proud of is the positive culture our
>community now has.  The love of learning, the consideration
>for beginners, the tolerance of different ideas, and the
>gentle way people have of discouraging bad dancing and
>encouraging good dancing.  I would rather have this than a
>community of super-talented dancers with no heart and no
>sense of community.  It’s okay to be vocal about what you
>think (ask any Pittsburgher what I think and they can
>probably tell you!).  But I’d suggest doing so in a way
>that is positive, not negative.
>
>May your 5th anniversary be celebrating the type of
>community that you want.
>
>Trini de Pittsburgh

I don't know where you're getting the idea that we don't have those
nice facets here in our community too...   We're the City of Good
Neighbors after all.  :-)   We are going less than two years now.   I
have nearly 500 email addresses in the newsletter email list and there
were just under 900 unique visitors to the web site in December.
Another regular (monthly) dance venue started in December...  We have
a practica on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturdays in three different
locations.  We have put on at least 10 workshops in the last year,
including the festival with Daniel Trenner and Anne Sophis Ville...
There is much more coming in the new year...

 I'm very happy with the way things are going.

Thanks for the guidance advice Trini, but you know I'll never
change...  ;->

But I do like to be right, accurate and correct with what I put forth.
So anything specifically wrong with the 'How To' pages would be
greatly appreciated.

Many thanks...

Hugs.

Floyd