[Tango-L] a little sonic something

Michael Knowles binkster at binkster.net
Sat Jan 20 13:58:45 EST 2007

Jeff Gaynor wrote:
> I have decided I like tango so much I thought I'd try my hand at writing a waltz:
> http://www.jqhome.net/vals.mp3

Nice work, Jeff. I like the minor key feel of it and both tempi,
preferring the original, faster one. I missed having a different
instrument grouping at 47 seconds when the theme is repeated. Can you
introduce a new voice at that point? Also, when the horn grouping hands
the lead off to the strings and carries forward with just rhythmic
underpinnings at 27 seconds (oomPAHPAH oomPAHPAHPAAAAH) they are too
loud compared to the strings. I want to hear the lead line be prominent
each time it appears.

The first 60 seconds appears to be identical to the second 60 seconds.
I'd like to see some contrasting tones or voices on the second 60. Maybe
add a countermelody line in the piano?

If you publish a song like this by giving us its URL can we also have a
name for it? What's the name of your song? Or is it named "Vals" which
was enough of a name for many composers but stultifying if more waltzes
are in the offing...  ;^)

--
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
binkster at binkster.net