[Tango-L] request from author of Tao of Tango - Johanna Siegmann

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 14 16:53:21 EST 2007

... forwarded by request from Johanna ...

From: tanguera at earthlink.netTo: tanguera at earthlink.netSubject: my new bookDate: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:06:23 -0800

Dear friends in Tango,
I am the author of The Tao of Tango (www.TaoOfTango.com) and am currently at work on another tango-related book.  I am seeking comments/thoughts/insights/philosophies/whatever from everyday (and/or professional) tango dancers from all around the world.  These thoughts may be serious, philosophical, humorous, personal, technical, whatever.  I just ask that you limit your submissions to a maximum of three ideas/comments per person, that each be a maximum of 50 words, and they be in English.  (I can translate comments made in Spanish).

Please answer these questions, in addition to whatever else you write:
1.    Where do you live/Tango
2.    How long have you been dancing tango.
3.    How many times per week/month do you go tango?
4.    Do you maintain friends/a life outside of tango?
5.    Have you been to Buenos Aires.

and most importantly:

6.    Would you date/marry anyone who did not dance Tango, and why/why not?

I am particularly interested in people who are in a long-term relationship with someone who does NOT dance Tango, and how you make the relationship work.
 For your comments, here are some ideas to get you started (but please don't feel limited by these suggestions):

What is Tango.
What does Tango mean to you?
How/Why did you start dancing Tango.
If you do other types of dancing, how do they compare to Tango.
Is it better to have or not have a dance partner?

What does "authentic" tango mean to you?Do you think Tango is held to the same sort of "authenticity" standard as other dances (and if not why not)
Do you think "authenticity" is important?
How would you describe your relationship to Tango?

You can write about any aspect of Tango (music, attire, relationships, egos, shoes, embrace, performing, choreography, improvisation, colors, venues, WHATEVER) as long as your comments conform to the 3 comment, 50 words per comment, English format.

By submitting, you are granting me permission to use your words for no compensation, and that they may be edited slightly for clarity or length.  Again, there is no pay for your contribution (or even a free book, sorry), just the satisfaction of POSSIBLY seeing your words in print (I cannot guarantee that your submissions will be chosen for inclusion in the final version, nor when the book will be published).

Please forward this message to other people/places around the world (I would especially like to hear from people in the Middle East and Africa - if there are any tangueros out there!).  YOU WILL RECEIVE A SPAM NOTICE TO REQUEST PERMISSION.  DO NOT REQUEST PERMISSION OR RESUBMIT YOUR EMAIL.  I WILL RECEIVE IT.  I PROMISE.

Thanks, and may we meet on the dance floor!
Johanna Siegmann
The Tao of Tango
send your submissions to: tanguera at earthlink.net