[Tango-L] Why dancers should judge musicians in Tango not otherwise

AJ Azure azure.music at verizon.net
Wed Feb 28 06:12:06 EST 2007

You misunderstand me. What you describe is transcription and we could write
everything down and regurgitate it. I happen to enjoy that but, my point is
not that I want to create something new. My point is transcription does not
give a total understanding of the music. Only a snap shot of the specific
piece It doe snot teach how to arrange the music, etc. That is my point.

If you want good danceable music then you can not have the musician just
regurgitate old arrangements. There must be room for rearrangement. To
re-arrange authentically one must understand more than the specific
recording. SO a huge survey of recordings can help but, not fully.

My orchestra (yes orchestra) is  a varied group of instruments performing
all music from 1900-1940s which includes hot jazz, gypsy jazz, french
musette, tango, hawaiian music, latin, etc. So we spend a lot of time
listening AND analyzing but, with the lack of anythign but, recorded
material for tango it becomes quite tough to not only reproduce the old but,
to add a bit of new juice so as to keep it fresh, A good musician knows how
to balance a bit of personal creativity and input with some purity and
authenticity. Actual arrangement scores as well as method books would make
things easier. Dancers supporting such endeavors would go great lengths to
getting the music they want played. The musicians may very well be better
than the ones of the past. They only need the tools to interpret the music
properly.

For the record I tend to prefer music pre-195s for performing. Although, I
listen, compose and perform in most styles.
_A