[Tango-L] Why dancers should judge musicians in Tango not otherwise

Huck Kennedy huck at eninet.eas.asu.edu
Tue Feb 27 22:58:37 EST 2007

"Igor Polk" <ipolk at virtuar.com> writes:

> This is just my thought that dancers should be the ones
> to tell what music is good for tango dancing and what is not.

     If by "tell" you mean pick out which tangos
in the repertoire are better to play for dancing,
I'd go along with that.

> The difference is that I believe we feel the music much
> deeper than musicians.

     My dear friend.  Musicians feel the music much
deeper than 95% of the dancers.  And the other 5%
of dancers are also musicians themselves.   :)

     Go to a milonga in many parts of the world,
and you're liable to find that half the dancers on
the floor can't feel the music at all.  For that
unfortunate lot, the music is just so much background
noise, innocuous at best, or perhaps even a bit of an
annoyance--if it's turned up "too loud"--that
interferes with their banal chit-chat as they dance
along, mostly oblivious.

     I ask you, kind sir--when was the last time you
saw musicians idly gabbing as they played a tango?
Ah, you haven't--didn't think so.  It seems to me
that the least everyone in one classification of
people can do is pay attention to a thing in the first
place before that group can ever hope to even begin to
qualify as people who feel said thing more than the
people in another group.

Huck