[Tango-L] Transition of Tango Music

=?windows-1250?Q?Ecsedy_=C1ron?= aron at milonga.hu
Tue Feb 27 19:15:08 EST 2007

Dear Igor,

Just something that caught my eye - out of context, I do not challenge other things you say:

Polk> - Dear Jeff, don't you find it strange that a "bunch of untutored laborers"
Polk> wrote a wonderfully complex classic-type dancing music while nowadays people
Polk> with university diplomas obliviously listen to pop?

A university diploma (even in Hungary, but in the States...) does not make you sophisticated or even what we call knowledgable. Lately, not even smart. Just having the guts and the ass to sit through university and have passes in your subjects. I do not consider a diploma a measure of person, not to mention a measure of good taste, or good musical sense.

Nevertheless, music written by those "untutored labourers" were not complex, or sometimes not even too interesting. Check out those piano scores. Most simple scores are really primitive. They had power, emotion (like folk music!), but mostly they weren't sophisticated or complex. Some of the classics were actually written to score by orchestra leaders who had excellent training or/and experience (eg. La cumparsita, while originally written my Rodriguez, was written into score by Firpo). The orchestra arrangers/leaders who MADE these songs really complex and sophisticated, the type of tango you recognize and know today (and all the things we are talking about), were mostly well-tutored, and even more, people extremely experienced in this genre - even if from humble origins.

My opinion - of course. Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,
Aron

Budapest, Hungary