[Tango-L] Transition of Tango Music

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Tue Feb 27 11:29:06 EST 2007

On Feb 27, 2007, at 2:49 AM, Gregory wrote:
> Hello All,
> 	Just one more example of the connection between Baroque music and
> Tango
> music and dancing - Baroque music leaves you some space to
> improvise and to
> add adornments (“melismas,” in music).  When we dance to
> traditional Tango
> music we interpret trills, mordent, gruppeto, forshlag, etc. as
> volcadas,
> rock steps, lapices, etc.   Alternative and Neo Tangos do not have
> these
> melismas in their structure.
> ...Best,
> Gregory “Grisha” Nisnevich

Grisha's comment hits the point that is really important to me in
this discussion: Space within the composition for the dancers to
participate.

You have a number of different musical elements and qualities that
make tango "Tango" A good dancer uses all of these elements to be
expressive.

(1) TANGO-NESS:

  - Crescendo or oomph preceding the strong-beat, the "And-Moment"

You know how you can always spot swing, because it "swings", it has a
specific swing-like syncopation. For me, the single most important
DEFINING quality, the thing that separates tango from a foxtrot or
swing, is this pre-beat, the "And-Moment". The breath of the
bandoneon initiates, before the musician stomps the ground for the
strong "One-Beat". The dancers interpret this by engaging before
accelerating. It calls for a musical interpretation of "Suspension
and Surge".

It sounds sort of like "ha-RUMPPH".

When the leader doesn't move with boldness and drive, when the
follower is all willowy instead of engaged, then tango becomes
ballroom-light instead of masculine-feminine (strong-feminine, not
timid feminine). No chest, no balls, no diva.

(2) COMPLEXITY:

If the "And-moment" characterizes tango, the poly-melodies and poly-
rhythms make tango interesting. Grisha and others have talked about
this already:

  - Use of 3-3-2 (or 1xx-1xx-1x) rhythms
  - Multiple rhythmic lines,
  - Mutliple melody lines,
  - Trading melodic or rhythmic elements from one instrument to another
  - Little fills or frills

(3) DEPTH and SPACIOUSNESS:

  - Space, sparsity, or transparency

The best traditional Tango music is Driving. It is also Rich and
Complex. But it also leaves an empty a space for the dancer. The
dancer is a PART of the orchestra, helping to interpret and shape the
music. Modern musical sensibility calls for the musicians to fill in
every space, as if they are performing a concert rather than
including or even thinking about the dancers.

Piazzolla and even a lot of late Pugliese is spectacular, but drives
the dancers rather than including them. Its heavier bass or melodic
line or swing rhythm pushes a single musical idea rather than
multiple lines. It isn't so spacious and deep, and doesn't leave as
much room to be interpretive.

D'Agostino, the anti-alternative.

In total contrast to late-Pugliese or Alternative, listen to
D'Agostino/Vargas. The music is spacious sometimes even sparse, a
quality that Marilyn Hof (a cellist who dances tango here in Denver)
calls "TRANSPARENCY". Like a crystal you can look down into the music
at all the layers and inclusions. As a Dancer you can connect to the
melody line with one part of your brain while dancing to the little
trills and sub-rhythms.

Most people don't hear D'Agostino until they have been dancing tango
for a while. And, sitting in your living room, D'Agostino doesn't
grab you like when you start to dance at a milonga. D'Agostino isn't
even very interesting at a practice.

ALTERNATIVE, DIFFERENT, NOT BAD:

These listed qualities are what make tango so rich and interesting.
They separate tango from other kinds of music, and even distinguish
dance tango from concert tango.

OF COURSE you can dance tango movements to Alternative. Of course it
can be fun. Of course it is easier if you aren't accustomed to tango.
AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! Passionate movement is fine.
Romance is fine. Prosecco is giggly, even if Barolo curles your toes.

The issue, is that Alternative may be fun and easy but it lacks the
depth, spaciousness and intensity of tango.

What I like about using Alternative is a DJ, is exactly this fun,
easy-access energy. It contrasts with tango, so when I do an
alternative set it is preparing people to return to the depth of
tango. Lhasa to D'Arienzo, Fabrizio de Andre to Di Sarli, Waltzes to
Pugliese.

On the other hand, if you have ever been to an all-alternative tango-
evening. Everybody's movements become sort of fun but not intense.
Energy eventually dissipates, or at least drifts away from feeling
like tango. People get silly and fast, but it is like all desert no
main course.

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org