[Tango-L] Respect and love of cultures

AJ Azure azure.music at verizon.net
Tue Feb 27 03:00:54 EST 2007

As a musician and someone putting together a stage show involving live music
and dance I ask you this, do you think that trad. tango makes for good stage
performance? I am asking sincerely. it's something i am currently wrestling
with in deciding the content of said show, which will also feature lindy and
swing styles. Aside from being a pro musician my family lineage is from
Argentina and I respect my roots although I believe to survive newness must
also be injected in to nostalgia. The answer is if you really want tango to
live on, support the live music so that it can keep some sort of freshness.
get musicians old music so that we have access to it. Work with musicians to
tell us you want but, also keep an open mind AND for goodness sakes stop the
elitism, snobbery and judgmental attitude (not specific tot his e-mail just
in general) it's seen in many circles and ultimately it poisons the
environment

-A