[Tango-L] "Alternative" Music.... - who was first?

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 25 14:05:02 EST 2007

I am not sure if Nina's account of Daniel & Rebecca being
the first to dance tango to alternative music is correct.
I am sure Daniel & Rebecca did, but perhaps it was the
first public demonstration.

Last fall, I asked El Pulpo about his use of alternative
music.  He laughed and said that with his father and
grandfather being bandoneonists, he got sick of tango music
when he was young and wanted to get away from it.  Hence,
his interest in rock 'n roll.

In Jackie Wong's interview with him, he describes how he
and his friends would experiment and how he felt that he
had to hide it.  His website also tells that he first
practiced tango to rock 'n roll, which were certainly
before the late 90's.
http://www.tangopulse.net/tango_interviews.htm

El Pulpo isn't interested in creating mini-Pulpos.  Rather,
El Pulpo appreciates the freedom his teachers, the Dinzels,
gave him to create his own tango.  It should be no surprise
that people in BsAs do not dance like him, because he is
not trying to recreate himself in others.  However, I do
see glimpses of his teaching in others.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Jay Rabe <jayrabe at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Nina,
>
>      Yes, you answered my questions. Muy bien.
>
>           Muchas gracias.
>

> > Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:05:24 -0700> From:
> nina at earthnet.net> To: tango-l at mit.edu> Subject: Re:
> [Tango-L] "Alternative" Music....> > Hi, Jay,> > I will
> answer each one of your questions according to my
> experience.> > > Do not many Argentines dance tango steps
> to non-tango or pop music?> > Correct. Almost no one does
> it. Those who do, do not call it > Argentine Tango.> > >
> Can you say that these generally younger Argentines did
> not > > originate the practice?> > Correct. They did not.
> The very first time that the possibility of > tango being
> danced to anything other than tango was presented by >
> Daniel Trenner and Rebecca dancing to piece by Bob Telson
> in 1997-1998 > or so. Argentines frowned on it.> > > Do
> you have evidence in the history of the evolution of the
> > > non/neo-tango music phenomenon to justify your
> contention that it > > is "foreigners" who have started
> this behavior?> > There is a video of Daniel and Rebecca
> dancing to Bob Telson. Also, I > was there when !
>  this phenomena had began, was a part of it, danced it >
> every which way and felt pleased with myself for being so
> "radical". > Argentines continued to frown on it, but I
> did not care then. We even > tried to do it in BsAs when
> we (me and my European roommates) lived > there in the
> late 90s and we embarassed ourselves terribly trying to >
> dance tango to rock-and-roll when it was played in the
> milongas. So, > the evidence is the actual experience.> >
> Not, the whole thing just makes me laugh. When people
> begin to do > tango moves to non-tango music with an air
> of artistic avant-guard, I > realize how stupid we looked
> then and feel sorry for these people now. > But
> eventually they will learn, I have no doubt about it.> >
> Did I answer all your questions?> > Best regards,> > Nina

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/