[Tango-L] Back to Basics

Jennifer Kenyon jenniferkenyon at qwest.net
Sat Feb 24 16:11:07 EST 2007

Wow!  I have never posted to Tango-L, but here goes.

I have only been dancing Argentine Tango for about two years but have been
lucky to have some incredible teachers during that time.  Having said that,
here is my opinion on this thread.

1.  "Alternative" music (and the discussion of it) seems to hit a nerve or
"strike a chord" in MANY people, whenever the subject is broached.  There
must be a reason for that.  Whether it is truly a discussion about the
music, the authenticity of the dance, simple semantics, or a feeling of
defending the Argentine culture, it is hard for me to tell.  Perhaps it is
all of the above.

2.  Like I said, I have had several great teachers.  I started out with two.
The man with whom I am taking lessons from now is not only a wonderful
dancer, but an incredible master musician and amazing teacher.  As he
educates me in the dance, he also educates me in the music, which obviously
go hand in hand, but which is unfortunately missing from many students'
experience.  We dance to a wide variety of music - traditional/classic tango
orchestras, nuevo, gypsy, classical, some modern---once even to "Phantom of
the Opera".  Are we dancing tango?  Rather are we dancing Argentine tango?
I'm not really sure---we are certainly doing the same footwork (sometimes a
wider variety during a single dance), but it has a different "feel" with
different musicality.  Bottom line is that I am not really concerned about
what it is called.  I mean no disrespect in that statement because of this:

3.  Whenever my technique begins to get sloppy or bouncy or careless, we
always go back to traditional music.  It refocuses me; it provides the
grounding and the stability I need to return to for good technique.  Though
I love dancing to most all genres of music, I realize that I need to keep
the "BASICS" clear and utmost in my mind and body.  It is easy to get
"carried away" with other types of music-I might stop collecting or lose my
axis.  But, the music itself might also provide some wonderful creative
interpretation, imagination and passion; it allows exploration of new dance
ideas, combinations of traditional tango steps, turns, etc..

4.  What it lacks is the focus of simplicity as well as the appreciation of
these wonderful musicians and in some cases brilliant pieces of music.  The
alternating and complex melodies are transformed gracefully and magically
onto the dance floor.  There are many, many "tango" dancers who will never
learn about or appreciate this in the traditional music-especially younger
ones.  But, it is most likely because no one has ever REALLY tried to help
them to understand it.  Traditional music for many can become boring after a
while, but if you begin to understand it, it is almost the opposite of that.

5.  So, I believe most of this discussion is unimportant (at least to me).
What is important is that teachers teach their students about the music-why
it is different; what makes it special.  For me, I'm still learning.hoping I
will never stop learning.  Exploring creativity with new and exciting music
of great cultural diversity while continuing the amazing experience, emotion
and satisfaction of a REALLY GOOD Argentine Tango dance.   I am most proud
of myself when I feel I have accomplished the latter.

6.  When the day comes that my muscle memory and my technique can sustain
and maintain on their own (no matter to which music I dance), then perhaps I
can call it Argentine Tango, perhaps not.  The fact is I like learning both
"ways".  It is enriching; it is satisfying.  I love the teachers who
continue to return to and remind me of the "basics"---the walk, the
grounding, the embrace.  They usually do this with classic tango music.
There must be a reason for that, don't you think?

7.  My opinion is that we all need to keep learning from and listening to
the music, our partners, our teachers (even our teachers have teachers from
whom they learn), and to each other with positive energy.  Bottom line is
that we all love "this" dance.  For me, whatever that means to you is ok.

Jennifer - Denver