[Tango-L] Alternative music

lgmoseley@aol.com lgmoseley at aol.com
Sat Feb 24 15:01:44 EST 2007

I do not see how anyone can say "Traditional Tango music is better than Alternative music" - or vice versa. It is a matter of taste.

 I enjoy dancing to both. In my teaching, I try to ensure that beginners start with music of the golden age, but as they become more experienced, I introduce more modern music - and indeed invite them to bring their own preferred music.

 What is clear is that traditional music has a strong and steady rhythm while many, although not all, more modern/alternative pieces do not. That means that with the traditional material dancers have to make their dancing fit the music. For the more modern material (particularly pieces brought in from the pop world) there is rarely the same discipline and one can interpet as much as one wishes.

 My observations lead me to believe that anyone who can dance well to traditional music can also dance well to modern music, but that the reverse is not the case.

 Brazos

 Laurie (Laurence)