[Tango-L] Alternative Music

wendy gordon producer at workproductions.com
Sat Feb 24 13:44:15 EST 2007

Bravo Nina and Huck  and Deby for taking a stand!  Argentinean tango is
danced to tango music.  Period.  The fact that the dance is evolving doesn¹t
make the new thing it is becoming TANGO.  As it evolves, perhaps it is
becoming something else. . A form of tango, a modern version, but by it¹s
very definition it is not traditional, classical, argentinean tango. So
what?  the way I see it.. This is an argument of semantics.  Call it tango
nuevo or what ever you like and leave it at that.  But Kat, why are you
trying so hard to fit a square peg into a round hole.  You said:

i'd
much rather have dirty, sloppy, broken tango with some
balls.  you don't have to want that, either!  but you
sure as hell can't convince me that i can't have it,
or that it doesn't exist, or that I need to rename it
for you.

For all I care we can call it KAT TANGO or sloppy, broken tango with some
balls tango, but what ever it is it isnt traditional argentinean tango.. And
I for one hope that at the very least you don¹t dance that on a crowded
floor.  No one wants to tell you not to dance it..  I don¹t think anyone
cares what or how you interpret your dance. Your arrogance comes in the form
of trying to make what YOU do somehow relevant within the history and
tradition of an established form.